The Arhoolie Foundation is Hiring!
Join the Arhoolie Foundation team as a Foundation Archivist. The Arhoolie Foundation has been dedicated to the documentation, preservation, and celebration of regional roots music and its makers for 25 years. Created from the work of founder Chris Strachwitz and his seminal independent record label Arhoolie Records, we seek to broaden public awareness of our diverse music history, support the vitality of living traditions, and reinforce the value and sustainability of community-based cultures. The Foundation Archivist will oversee the cataloging, digitalizing, and web accessibility of the Frontera Collection, Chris Strachwitz Collection, the Robert Stone Collection, the Manuel Peña Collection, the Harry Oster Collection and other collections.
- Overall responsibility for the management of the Arhoolie Foundation collections in accordance with archival standards.
- Responsible for the identification, acquisition, processing, and preservation of archival collections.
- Ensure the collections are maintained with a sustainable digital preservation and digital storage plan, inclusive of web archiving responsibilities.
- Curate archival content for collections on the Foundation website.
- Represent the Arhoolie Foundation’s interest with the Foundation’s organizational partners.
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally, and provide documentation for workflows, procedures, and guidelines.
- Perform outreach and education in the form of presentations, informal gatherings, online and via social media to promote the mission of the Arhoolie Foundation.
- Responsible for locating materials for licensing inquiries.
- Maintain a thorough and up-to-date understanding of digital file formats, digital preservation, and digital persistence practice and theory.
- Demonstrate a problem-solving capacity with unfamiliar technology and rapidly changing environments.
- Interest in and experience with vernacular music or traditions is especially important.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects, independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to understand the details of each collection and having a vision about their uses.
- Ability to identify, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to accuracy and details.
- Excellent written, verbal, and problem-solving skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program with a concentration in information science, archives management, or digital curation.
- A minimum of three years of experience in processing digital archival collections, including experience in creating databases, developing index systems, and familiarity with the standards for digital preservation.
- Demonstrated experience working with vernacular music and/or traditions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of metadata standards and metadata management.
- Experience in working with NAS storage and RAID systems.
- Proficient in FileMaker, Excel, Word, Photoshop, Audio and Video editing software, WordPress, and NotePad.
- Experience working with a Network Attached Storage system is a plus.
- Familiarity with YouTube and other streaming services is useful.
Certificates & Licenses: Must possess a California Driver’s License
Compensation: Salary range is $55-75,000/year plus health benefits and 401k plan. Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter explain your background and interests for the position to John Leopold, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.