A 2019 Year End Letter From Chris
December 19, 2019
It has been a busy year for the Arhoolie Foundation. We head into 2020 with lots of plans to continue documenting and celebrating all the fine music we love in common. I’d like to share with you some of what we have been up to this year, and a few of our plans for 2020. We would be grateful if you would consider making a last minute charitable donation to support our ongoing work.
On November 22, we held our Second Annual Arhoolie Awards and Benefit Concert at The Chapel in San Francisco, with performances from Elvin Bishop, the Cultural Heritage Choir, and the Sons of the Soul Revivers. It was an extraordinary night of music, and we were pleased to present Arhoolie Awards (‘Hoolies) to three exceptional recipients: Linda Tillery, Cedric Watson, and Ashkenaz Music & Dance Community Center. I was also happy to present Elvin Bishop with the 2019 Chris Strachwitz Legacy Award.
We have now uploaded all 34,000 78-rpm recordings in the Frontera Collection to our YouTube Channel, and we’ve started adding the 45s. Nearly 100 new recordings are added every day, so visit often! We have had over 5.32 million views and 6500 subscribers.
We are continuing to digitally preserve our archives, including rare field recordings, photographs, recorded interviews, posters and other treasures. We will be sharing a lot of this material through our newly designed website, as well as through public exhibits like this year’s The Blues According to Arhoolie at the Blues Hall of Fame in Memphis, TN.
Here are some of our goals for 2020:
- Put on more live events showcasing roots music traditions
- Complete the digital preservation of the Chris Strachwitz Photo Collection
- Digitize 8000 more recordings from the Frontera Collection
- Upload over 20,000 45-rpm recordings to our Frontera Collection YouTube Channel
- Create a traveling exhibit on Mexican American life in California as documented on records
- Launch an original podcast series featuring Arhoolie music and stories
- Support tradition-based artists, educators, and organizations with the Arhoolie Awards
We are grateful to many of you who have generously supported us in the past and hope you can help us out again before the end of the year – remember we are an educational 501c(3) non-profit which makes your contribution tax-deductible!
Wishing you a cheerful and enjoyable holiday season,
Support Our Work.